<previous page               next page> 

Sunderland South Pier - Roker Cliff Park, Roker, Tyne and Weir

Lighthouse category:  harbour

Position:  54° 55' 52.4" N; 1° 21' 58.1" W

Status: inactive

Date:  1856

Designer:  Thomas Meik

Tower height:  50 feet

Construction:  round cast iron tower

Colour scheme: white with black gallery rail and weather vane

Focal plane height:  not applicable

Characteristics: not applicable

Foghorn:  not applicable

Google map view:  google map link

This slender, rather elegant looking lighthouse was once located on the South Pier at the entrance to Sunderland harbour.  However, like Smeaton's Eddystone tower it was moved to a new location at the end of its active life.  The South Pier was built in the period 1723 to 1750 (approximately), the lighthouse itself dating from 1856.  Although the light had been inactive since the early 1900s it remained in its original location until 1983 when the old South Pier was shortened.  The light was then relocated to Cliff Park in Roker where it is seen in this photograph. 

The shortened South Pier is now marked by a rather less impressive structure which can be seen in the photograph below immediately in front of the North Pier light.  This is a 27 foot, red metal tower incorporating a day mark and with a flashing red light visible for two miles.

This free website was made using Yola.

No HTML skills required. Build your website in minutes.

Go to www.yola.com and sign up today!

Make a free website with Yola